The Writing Lab
Located in the Academic Success Center, A 112
Lori Shula, Instructional Assistant, Reading & Writing
Office: A 112 Phone: 863-674-0408 E-mail:
The Writing Lab staff is committed to providing a supportive, non-threatening environment in which students can improve their skills. We strive to help students build the reading and writing competencies needed to be successful not only while attending Edison State College, but throughout their lives. Our hope is that they leave each tutoring session feeling better equipped to do well in their related coursework. It is important to us that we help create better writers, not simply better papers. With this in mind, we gladly partner with the faculty and students throughout all phases of the writing process in an effort to provide the greatest opportunity for achievement.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM OUR STAFF?
- You will be treated courteously and respectfully.
- We will listen to your questions and concerns and discuss how to best address your needs.
- We will assist you in the pre-writing stages (e.g. brainstorming, planning, outlining, etc.)
- Once your draft is completed, we will review it with you, discuss the strengths and weaknesses in your writing, and provide you with the tools needed for improvement.
- We will also be available to assist with other types of reading, writing, and research assignments.
WHAT DO WE EXPECT FROM YOU?
- Whenever possible, stop by to schedule an appointment to see a tutor when working on an essay or research paper.
- Know the specifics of the assignment, your professor’s expectations, and what you wish to accomplish during each tutoring session.
- Bring all necessary materials to the session and be prepared to work with your tutor.
- Give considerable thought to the assignment prior to your session.
- Allow sufficient time before your assignment is due to work with your tutor.
- Realize that by discussing your work-in-progress we will guide you through prewriting, drafting, and revising. Although we will address patterns of errors in your papers, it is your responsibility to proofread and edit your own work.
WHAT SERVICES DO WE OFFER?
- Drop-in tutoring
- Individual instruction by appointment
- Peer tutoring
- Small study groups
- Research Assistance
- Writing Workshops
- Exit Exam Review Workshops
Online Writing Lab at Purdue: owl.english.purdue.edu
Research and Documentation: www.dianahacker.com/resdoc/
MLA and APA Style Manuals: www.edison.edu/library/
Reading Comprehension: www.literacynet.org/cnnsf/week.html
More Useful Links: www.rollins.edu/wc/links.shtml