How to Become a Student Assistant
To be qualified for work as a Student Assistant, the following conditions must be met:
- The student:
- must be currently enrolled when employed as a student assistant in fall or spring semesters, and
- may be employed during the summer even if not attending classes if the student was enrolled in the previous spring semester and has registered for classes in the upcoming fall semester, and
- must produce a "paid registration receipt" showing he/she is enrolled in classes for credit in the College.
Step 1 – Fill out an application online at jobs.edison.edu. Click “Create Application” on the left menu, select “Main Application” and then follow the instructions. After creating an application, you need to apply that application to the “Part Time (on-campus) Student Employment” option. Your application will then be placed on file for departments looking for Student Assistants to hire. Your application will stay on file for three (3) months. Upon contacting the Human Resources Office, your application can be extended for an additional three (3) months.
Step 2 – You should then visit the department in which you wish to work to inform them that your application is on file. If you do not have a specific department in mind, below is a listing of departments that commonly hire student assistants.
- Admissions and Records
- Learning Resources
- Finance & Accounting
- Learning Assistance
- Technology Services
- Public Safety
- Continuing Education
- Professional & Technical Studies
- Health and Sciences
Students are selected for specific work areas/positions based on the following:
- Related work experience
- Area of academic/career interest
- Non-working experience related to the functions performed in the work area
Step 3 – If you are selected for employment, you will be asked to return to the Human Resources Office to complete “new employment paper work”. You must have with you at that time appropriate documentation necessary to complete an Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 Form (see reverse side for a listing of these documents). For payroll purposes, we will also need to make a copy of your social security card. Student Assistants are not eligible for unemployment compensation benefits.
When you are employed to work as a Student Assistant, you become a temporary, part-time employee of the College. The maximum a Student Assistant may be employed is twenty (20) hours per week. Exceptions up to thirty (30) hours per week may be authorized by the appointing supervisor. International students, by law, are allowed to work only (20) twenty hours per week.