Health Information Technology, AS
The Health Information Technology program will prepare students for careers as managers of health information for a wide variety of health care facilities. These careers include medical coding and billing specialists, document content management experts, department and practice managers, release of information specialists, and electronic health record system users.
The program provides instruction in all aspects of health information management. Emphasis will be on the role, purpose, content, and format of health records, and related legal, ethical, financial, and billing issues. Systems for inpatient as well as outpatient settings will be studied.
Upon graduation from the degree program, students are eligible to sit for the national Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) exam.
The Associate Degree in Health Information Technology is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
The Health Information Technology Program has selective admissions. Because enrollment is limited, a point system for admission will be utilized.
In addition to the admission requirements for the College, the following are requirements for admission to the Health Information Technology Program:
- Graduation from high school or receipt of a General Educational Development (GED) certificate.
- Completion of admission requirements to Edison State College.
- Completion of learning assistance courses, if required, by the start of the program.
- Completion of general education and program prerequisite courses as defined below.
- Attainment of a minimum grade of “C” or above in all general education courses, including prerequisites, required for admission to the Health Information Technology program.
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.5.
- Submission of official transcripts from post-secondary institutions showing completion of any of the prerequisite or corequisite courses.
- Completion of the Health Information Technology Application along with the $15.00 application fee receipt.
- Application deadline: June 1st of each year.
Additional Program Requirements:
- Completed medical exam form including immunization and TB status
- FLDE criminal background check
- 10-Panel drug screen
- Blood borne pathogens, first aid, and CPR certification
Professional Practice Experiences (Internships):
The Health Information Technology Program has three separate professional practice experience courses. Students will be assigned to a specific health care facility or virtual lab simulation for the completion of these experiences.
- Student assignment to facilities or lab simulation is made by the Health Information Technology Program Director based upon site availability.
- Facilities will be selected from within the Southwest Florida region which includes Lee, Collier, Charlotte, Hendry, and Glades Counties.
- Students are expected to provide their own transportation to and from the professional practice sites as assigned.
- Professional Practice Experience courses are only available during weekdays.
Downloads and Links
|Professor Deborah Howard, MA, RHIA, CCS
HIT Program Director
Note: Some files on this page are in PDF format and may require you to download the appropriate viewer.